Saturday, May 21, 2016

Two Louis' One Day

Day 9

After a some-what extended sleep, the first screening of the day on my agenda was Loving at 11:30. Today and tomorrow we get to see official selection reruns that are only available to market badges a.k.a. no year long lines. Bless up.

Loving had a lot of hype surrounding it, not only from my classmates, but critics alike. While a few may disagree, I believe it lived up to it. Loving tells the story of an interracial couple living in the civil rights era Virginia. Based off of a true story, the couple battles Virginia for the right for them to marry. Its a beautiful film, extremely true to the story it revolves around. The love between the couple is subtle, yet more powerful than the law.

Next, I went to see The Dancer, after Eva Claire's unwavering pestering for me to see it. I really appreciated the absolute BEAUTY of the film. The dancing was insane, as was the lighting. I fell in love with troubled front man, Louis, a drug addict and heir to an insane fortune. Lucky for me, I would get to see him in the final film of the day... in which his name was ALSO LOUIS.

It's Only the End of the World, is trippy, experimental, and absolutely worth a watch. The metaphors layers within the cinematography choices are exceptional.

After the screening, I got to meet up with my friends from Athens who are visiting after staying in Amsterdam for the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment