Monday, May 23, 2016

The Grand Finale

Day 12

Currently googling: "how to curse in french" and "is time machine really not real seriously it's 2016?"

Today marks the closing ceremony of the festival. Truly time has never escaped my grasp at the velocity it did within this past two-ish weeks. It was a solemn day at the festival, with a great, big, luminous highlight being that I finally got to see Toni Erdmann. One of the funniest, and emotionally subtle yet overwhelming movies I've seen at this festival. I'm so happy to have ended on that note.

I, Daniel Blake took home the grand prize, with It's Only the End of the World following behind. Freaking Personal Shopper somehow won best directing, dear Lord.

Cannes taught me more than I ever expected it to. Like..

1. You can be the lone non-film major and absolutely love watching and discussing movies.
2. Sleep when you're dead.
3. Ask parents for cab money, cause wow.
4. Feeling small has never felt so good; the people here will dwarf you with knowledge and experience yet make you feel at home.
5. WWAD: what would Alex do?
6. Life never stops surprising you with the friendship of others.
7. Begging for tickets like a peasant feels as awful as you'd expect.
8. I love experimental cinematography.
9. Never judge a film but it's description blurb. Really, don't.
10. There's a special place in hell for the creators of Basmati Blues and Bulletproof Coffee.

In closing, I still cannes-not speak French, but get by with a little help from my friends. And rosé.





No comments:

Post a Comment