Thursday, May 12, 2016

Oh my Basmati Blues

Day 2

The day started with an extremely eager film goer (me) going to see a film she had been highly anticipating (Basmati Blues). With Brie Larson and Donald Sutherland headlining the film, what could possibly go wrong? EVERYTHING.

Genuinely one of the worst cases of cinema I've seen. I left early. It was an awfully made musical about genetically modified rice. This film had the potential to take something so acute in our world right now, and educate people who wouldn't usually study GMOs about their importance to our society. But it could not have failed more. Stay tuned for my mini review.

Cole and I left early and headed towards the American Pavilion. We chatted for a little bit, drank coffee blended with butter and coconut oil (cue the stomach pains) and took in the crowd around us.

As the day progressed, I needed a good movie. Blessed be the lords of film for Personal Affairs. This Israeli film presented its audience with life. Simple moments, complex family situations and intimate relationships all existed in the film, but none over powered the next. Each relationship helped to support and reflect the others harmoniously. There was a deft but soft hand with the humor. The actual lighting and frame work in the cinematography was astounding. Most importantly, I left that movie having felt better for watching it.

The last movie I saw today surprised me in the best way possible. John and I attended the screening for The Waiting. Two teenage boys set off an experiment to see if they can make their elderly next door neighbor believe he is haunted. The movie combines a complex mix of funny and lighthearted scenes with terrifying moments between the boys and their neighbor. In the end, the movie plays out an homage to the Columbine: a sadistic, evil boy manipulates his smarter, kind friend into evoking a weird revenge on someone he's hates. Throughout the film, the audience doesn't know who to root for. The boys are scaring this old man for no reason, but say he's a wife-beating drunk.., so who cares? I laughed, screamed, winced, and cried tears of heartbreak in this film.

We then headed over to the American Pavilion for a cocktail party.

No comments:

Post a Comment